Wednesday, October 15, 2008

In our busy world, I have often wondered how to make time to Come Unto the Lord. When we are changing diapers, sleep deprived, chasing little ones or just keeping up with work schedules and appointments, how do we make time for the holy things in life?

I remember as a younger mother, when my third daughter was born, I realized that I was suffering from chronic fatigue (not just the normal post partum) and fibromyalgia. I was physically miserable. At about that same time the Lord dropped a request in my lap. "I need you to homeschool your children." He also said that, "you would deeply regret it if you don't." I struggled with this request for some time. I explained to the Lord that I would do it but didn't feel that I could. My physical body just couldn't handle it. I felt I was doing all I could do to keep healthy but health just wasn't coming. I wanted to do what the Lord wanted me to do, I just didn't know how.

I tried to stay active at the local YMCA to get my exercise when the Lord quietly whispered to me that it was too much to get the kids ready, go to the Y, excercise, go home, shower and get ready for the day. Two to three hours minimum for a forty minute work out! I tried to explain to the Lord that I needed the break from my young children and time to 'take care of myself.' It took some time for the Lord to convince me this was too much work for too little reward. But eventually, I conceeded that I could do a run on my treadmill at home and shower, only taking me a total of an hour, and still have one to two hours extra to homeschool my children as He was asking me to. Is YMCA bad in and of itself? No. But for me it was a distraction from what the Lord wanted me to be focusing on.

Health didn't come right away, but as I let go of the distractions in my life I found that I did have the energy to do what the Lord wanted me to do.

What have you done to find time to Come Unto Him?"

(Consider things like: Finding time to read your scriptures, say your prayers, serve others, stay active in the community, develop your talents or whatever the Lord has asked of you.)

I'd love to hear your thoughts:).

- Christy

7 comments:

  1. Chris!!! Did you paint that picture of the Savior and Mary???? WOW! I am very impressed, great job!

    When I got on your blog the music was on it, I just adjusted the size so that it fit better with your page background.

    Love the picture! Love the blog! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy! What a beautiful and fulfilling blog idea. Thank you for this. I love the music on it as well (one of my favorite hymns that I wish was still in the hymn book).
    That painting is incredible. Everyone will ask (so I guess I'll follow Jen's lead), "Did you paint that?!!!" Amazing.
    As for your question, I have so much that I need to improve on to better Come Unto Him. One thing that I have enjoyed over the past few years is using the talents (even if they may be small) he's given me toward building up His kingdom. The world may look glamorous, but true fulfillment comes from using our talents to glorify Him instead of ourselves. I know you've already done this in a powerful way, Christy! No matter what someone's talent may be, they can use it to serve the Lord, to share His gospel or to bless someone's life for good.
    Thanks for the uplifting blog! Love you,
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CHRISTY, THIS BLOG IS VERY THOUGHT PROVOKING AND INSPIRING. THANKS FOR CREATING IT AND I WILL CHECK IN OFTEN AND LOOK FORWARD TO WHAT IS NEW.I WAS AWE STRUCK BY THE DETAL AND LOVE PROTRAYED IN YOUR PAINTING OF THE SAVOIR AND THE WOMEN AT THE WELL. I REMEMBER SEEING IT IN THE PROCESS WHEN I WAS THERE FOR JEREMYS BIRTHDAY, AND YOU HAVE DONE A BEAUTIFUL JOB.ANGIE PRETTY WELL SUMMED UP MY FEELINGS ON WHAT SOMEONE CAN GET OUT OF WHAT YOU SAY AND PAINT. YOUR TALENTS ARE BEING USED FOR A TOOL FOR THE LORD. LOVE MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I did paint the picture of Jesus and Mary. It was a wonderful experience. Thanks for your comments:).
    - Christy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christy, Well done! Thank you for sharing. I also liked the painting of the Savior and Mary but even more like the soft and gentle portrait of the woman. Tell me about it. Is it someone in particualar?

    Love,
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kara, thank you for your comments as well. The picture is my version of a Leonardo DiVinci one simply titled, Portrait of a Maiden. I love her peaceful femininity.
    Christy

    ReplyDelete