Thursday, November 27, 2008

December Challenge - What Would Jesus Do?

I hope your November challenge is well on its way to becoming a habit. I know I am loving playing the piano and just as a side note, my children are playing a lot more, now that I am…hummmm? I know it isn’t coincidental. I love it!

Anyway, upwards and onwards. For December I have a special challenge. There is a book I read in College by Charles M. Sheldon called “In His Steps.” It is a story about a preacher who challenges his congregation to not do anything without first asking, “What would Jesus do?” and then trying your best to do what Jesus would do. The book shows how these good Christians were changed and how they changed their communities and families by living by this one rule of conduct. It wasn’t easy and sometimes it became very hard. People of high society were often ostracized by their peers; some people lost their jobs because they couldn’t continue to work with people who compromised their morals to earn money, others gave up promising careers to serve the Lord better with the talents they had been given by God. But these people spent more time on their knees, bonded together with each other, bore one another's burdens and were blessed beyond measure by doing what Jesus would do.

As a side note, I was told about this book by my favorite BYU Professor, Brother Reed Benson (Oldest son to President Ezra Taft Benson our 13th Latter-day Prophet) Brother Benson was told about it by Harold B. Lee, our 11th Prophet, who was told about it by David O. McKay, our 9th Prophet. Not a bad resume. Charles M. Sheldon is not a Latter-day Saint, something I like about the whole story because it shows that Jesus Christ reaches out to all of his children no matter what our religion is and blesses us when we Come Unto Him!

So here is the challenge. It is three-fold.

#1. If you can, get a hold of the book In His Steps and read it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1593106823/ref=sr_1_olp_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227816452&sr=1-3
Here is an Amazon website that is offering a used paperback of this book for $1.36 plus three or four dollars shipping. So for around $5 you can have a copy for your own. Well worth the price!

#2. Whether you read the book or not, go through your life and ask yourself if the things you are doing are what Jesus would do. If they are, GREAT!!! If they aren’t change them.

#3. Try to continue to do this for the rest of your life. Simple, huh?

This will be an ongoing challenge for all of us and I would love to hear how it is working for you. I know it changed my life and continues to help keep me on track.

- Christy

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the message christy. actually that is one concept that i live by or at least try very hard to-only in a little different way, i think to myself before i act-"would the savoir approve?" and yes it works, but only when i apply it love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your note, Chris. Sounds like a good excuse to rededicate one's self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had a great experience this past 2 months watching my ward respond to all the service needs in our ward. It's been amazing as a Relief Society pres. to be aware of all the things people are doing for others. I have watched many do just what Jesus would do, were He here. It's awesome. Wish every month were December.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your message is great! I learned a lot about god and myself! You change lives! Keep it up! gb

    ReplyDelete